Sunday, March 23, 2008

Jane: You are NOT Plain

Let me respond to your post, Miss Eyre, with a bit of a pick-me-up. Your own physical appearance has been the subject of much questioning, by readers, literary theorists, and most notably, yourself.

You are famous for saying: "Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless?"

Let me respond with this interrogative: "Do you think because I am rich, famous, handsome, and large (interpret that as you may), that I am soulless and heartless?"

Let's focus specifically on the words "soulless and heartless." When you voiced them in your beautiful speech to Mr. Rochester, you intended to say that you have a soul, a heart. That you had feelings. When I proclaim them, I mean it in terms of sympathy. I may be all those great things on the outside, but I have a heart and a soul too, and they feel for you in your self-deprecation.

In fact, I find you quite beautiful, Miss Eyre. I have always been one to go for intelligence (hence, Mrs. Clinton), and I can proudly say that I find neither of you plain.

Unfortunately, your Mr. Obama - just like Mr. Rochester - is not all that pure either, in fact far from it.

No comments: