Thursday, March 20, 2008

Obama's Speech Fit for an Englishman

Those of you who have read my prior commentary know that I have been critical of Sir Barack Obama in many respects. Much of that is due to my growing affinity for Hillary Clinton, but I also attribute a good portion to sound logic. I still hold the same reservations, but I want to step aside and give credit where it's due (as you Americans are fond of saying).

Mr. Obama's speech on race was unquestionably brilliant, if for no other reason than that he was uniquely qualified to give it. Put any other human being in the world in front of the same words and the effect is lessened. Perhaps Nelson Mandela could have delivered it with more authority, but even that is doubtful.

As the first prominent biracial presidential candidate, Mr. Obama has the genetic formula necessary to quell racial strife in America. Throw in his political stature, and the stage was set properly for a speech for all ages (both in terms of human ages and eras).

Yes, I can step aside for a moment and praise a truly elemental moment in human history. For a day, you, Mr. Obama, are king of the world. As for tomorrow, I still have yet to hear a real policy.

No comments: